You came in with back pain and went, apparently with a dangerous Hospital-acquired infections In a medical supply center in Cologne, have been infected at least 28 people with dangerous bacteria after spraying had to get in the back. “In the context of CT-guided periduralen Infiltration therapies in a period of approximately two and a half weeks to infections with a pansensiblen pathogen Pseudomonas aeruginosa”, – quotes the “Cologne city Gazette” means the medical Director of the MVZ, Michael Herbrik. A request by the MIRROR has so far remained unanswered.
The procedure is actually considered to be harmless. In rare cases, it can lead to a so-called injection abscess, for example, if the patient’s skin is not disinfected properly, and this allows pathogens into the body penetration. Whether that could have played in the current outbreak in Cologne, but is still completely unclear.
The pathogen Pseudomonas aeruginosa is a well-known hospital germ, which is resistant to multiple antibiotics. According to the Robert Koch Institute, the bacterium can cause Sepsis, also known as blood poisoning, pneumonia and urinary tract infections. According to the “Kölner stadtanzeiger” suffered several patients who were treated in the Cologne clinic, in addition, a brain inflammation of the skin.
84-died Years 36 hours after injection in the back
Already in January occurred in a patient complications, after he had received a syringe in the back. The 84-Year-old died a day and a half after the procedure to multi-organ failure. The Cologne public Prosecutor’s office is now considering whether his death is due to infection with Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
According to the German society for hospital hygiene is the most serious outbreak of this pathogen in an outpatient medical institution in Europe. However, not all such cases are documented.
According to the “Kölner Stadt Anzeiger” has turned on the clinic itself, the Prosecutor’s office. Between the 2. January and 1. March had been treated 297 patients with the therapy, some of them multiple times. You have already been informed about the possible risks. The syringes were set accordingly, of the five Doctors. The procedure is not for the time being.